Thursday, 5 January 2012

Story time: My Sewing Machine

Singer Style Mate Model 348 c.1967  (The bird is a vinyl sticker I added.)
Meet my first ever sewing machine; Singer Style Mate Model 348 circa 1967. I'll tell you the story of how my Singer and I came to be!

My Aunt (same one who received the shower cap) procured this sewing machine for me, she handles from time to time a website that has items for sale; I asked her to keep an eye out for me. Being that she is a very talented seamstress she was the perfect person to ask, she would get me a machine that wouldn't be to difficult to use and most of all would work. I kid you not, the NEXT DAY after I asked her, she had a procured machine for me.

Turns out she was staging a house and this sewing table was in the way so she moved it and the owner asked her to take it and surprise it had a sewing machine in it! 

Did I mention that this machine has come with ALL the original style discs, manual, and some possible-original foot attachments. A little old lady must have loved this machine a lot to keep everything in such good condition, the only thing my awesome Aunt did for me was take it to a local Sewing Machine Tuner to be oiled.


I plan to love and take good care of this machine since it is so lovable, look at the colour?! Who makes sewing machines in that colour nowadays-not to mention it is a very manual machine. Let me add that I am not an expert sewer by any means, my opinion is that newer machines are quite a bit more digital/modern than this machine I have.



Why am I telling you about my sewing machine you ask? Well...
Bayleaf Buttons has a new product in our Etsy shop! Handmade zipper pouches!!
{ X }
{ X }
{ X }
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I like all details that you provide in your articles.
    monyong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy while I read your blogs and articles.
    sarcup

    ReplyDelete
  3. One year later & I stumbled upon your blog. I was curious about my old sewing machine & googled it. I was very suprised to see an identical picture - same blue color & all! I picked mine up for $5 at a garage sale sometime in the late 80's. I hadn't (& still havent't) used a sewing machine since Home Ec in 1967. I had great plans at the time, but never got around to using it. It has been moving around the country with me for all these years & I never used it... Recently, I took it in for a tune up & was pleasantly suprised that it actually works great! Mine also came with all of the accessories & all of the style disks. I plan to start sewing some simple projects & give it something to do other than just moving around & taking up space.

    Thanks for your blog. I really enjoyed seeing another fan of our treasure.

    Joanne
    Anaheim, CA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...